Quick Linksdistrict home
8000-8505 - 8000-8505
8350R.1 GUIDELINES FOR OFF-AIR RECORDING OF BROADCAST PROGRAMMING FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES
The purpose of these guidelines is to provide standards for both owners and users of copyrighted television programs. These guidelines apply only to off-air recording by non-profit education institutions.
1) A broadcast program may be recorded off the air simultaneously with broadcast transmission.
The program may be retained for a period of forty-five (45) consecutive calendar days after the
day of broadcast. Upon conclusion of this period, all off-air recordings must be erased or destroyed immediately.
2) During the first ten (10) consecutive school days the off-air recordings may be used once by individual teachers in the course of relevant teaching activities, and repeated once only when instructional reinforcement is necessary.
3) Off-air recordings may be made only at the request of and used by individual teachers. A program may be recorded only once for the same teacher.
4) A limited number of copies may be reproduced to meet the needs of all the teachers. Each copy shall be subject to the provisions governing the original recording.
5) After the first ten (10) consecutive days, off-air recordings may be used only for evaluation purposes; e.g.,to determine curriculum needs and possible purchase of the recording.
6) An off-air recording need not be used in its entirety; however, alterations may not be made in the original recording.
7) All copies of the off-air recording must include the copyright notice from the broadcast program as recorded.
8) Educational institutions are expected to establish appropriate control procedures to maintain the integrity of these guidelines.